221 Clarendon St. (1854)
Known as the “Three Sisters” this house was built by James D. Cathey (1817-?), a teacher at the Methodist Mission, Saugeen village from 1845 through 1849. He later moved to 221 Clarendon with his wife Agnes and children. Saugeen Township council first met in this house, in January 1854. From 1884 to 1909 this was home to Donald MacAulay (1834-1909), from the Isle of Lewis, fisherman and keeper of the two river Range Lights. The two-storey clapboard house featuring a half salt-box profile, a portico over the front door, and 6-over-six windows, is one of the few remaining of post-and-beam construction. In 1990 the owners, digging a backyard garden, uncovered a tombstone, "to the memory of Mary, daughter of George and Eustacia Cathey, died August 1856, age 19 years 5 mos" (possibly James Cathey's sister). The owners stopped work and reburied the stone. This house was designated as a Heritage Property under the Ontario Heritage Act.